Hull Energy - Siemens
Hull Energy Works will be the first facility of its kind in the UK, using a combination of innovative renewable energy technologies to achieve a highly efficient mix of recycling and energy conversion processes.
Excalon was contracted by Siemens to provide a solution to connect the new site to Cornwall Street Substation. Although only 250m in length, it involved various complications, including the crossing of Cleaveland Street in the centre of Hull and a design solution to excavate beneath the flood defences at Cornwall Street Substation.
Excalon’s scope included the design of the cable route and the electrical design specifications to meet the client’s requirements. The new power plant was under construction and the extension of Cornwall Street Substation was underway. Full liaison with multiple contractors was undertaken to ensure an efficient programme of works.
Civil works were completed on programme before the end of 2016. 132kV cable installation was undertaken in January, with the 11kV connections installed within the power plant once buildings had been constructed and plant installed. Final pressure testing of all cables was completed by March 2017 and handed over to the client.
Excalon’s EHV Division’s primary contract and responsibilities were to deliver:
· Full turnkey project
· Full project management.
· Full site set up.
· Stakeholder management.
· Traffic management.
· CAD As-Built drawings.
· All NRSWA notice management.
· Excavation in public highway.
· Excavation in live substation and construction site
· All associated fibre installation and boxes.
· Duct installation for 132kV cables and fibre
· Installation of 11kV and 132kV cables through ducts.
· Supply of 11kV and 132kV cable and accessories.
· Full electrical design.
· Full civil design, including temporary works for deep excavation
· 132kV jointing and terminations
· 11kV installation and jointing
· Electrical pressure testing, including partial discharge.
· Earth bonding installation.
Value: Circa £0.5m
- Full turnkey solution
- Full project management
- Stakeholder management.
- Traffic management.
- Excavations and preparation of joint bays
- 11kV and 132kV Cable installation, jointing and termination.
- Electrical pressure testing, including partial discharge.
- Earth bonding installation.