Bredbury 132kV GIS Substation
Excalon Ltd has been appointed Principal Contractor to manage, install and commission, 11 no. 132kV cable circuits, (8 ENWL and 3 National Grid) associated with construction of a new GIS substation located adjacent to the existing site at Bredbury, Stockport.
This scheme is a major investment by ENWL and as part of its current asset replacement programme and involves constructing a new indoor 132kV GIS substation next to the existing AIS sub-station. The new indoor substation will house the GIS switchgear and associated electrical and communications equipment.
Each of the cable circuits will be installed by one of Excalon’s specialist teams and consists of both fully ducted and precast trough installations over a maximum circuit length of 280 metres. The remote ends will be either terminated onto new structures adjacent to existing 275/132kV SGT transformers or jointed to existing outgoing 132kV feeders.
The 132kV power cables are sized at 630mm2 and 1000mm2 Cu for the National Grid circuits, with the earthing and bonding arrangements consisting of both Solid and Single Point Bonding designs.
Excalon’s EHV Division’s primary contract and delivery responsibilities are to:
- Act as Principal Contractor ensuring compliance with all Health, Safety & Environmental legislation and requirements.
- Ensure compliance with the verified and accepted system design including managing and developing detailed Quality Assurance Plans.
- Procurement of all associated materials including National Grid cables and accessories.
- Co-ordinate and deliver the project within the programme and budget.
- Plan and liaise with stakeholders.
- Temporary works design.
- Traffic Management.
- Management and logistics of cable deliveries.
- Co-ordination of jointing resources.
- Produce and manage construction drawings and technical documentation.
Client: ENWL/National Grid
Value: Circa £3m
Duration: 2014 – 2017
- Principal Contractor
- Full Project Management
- Stakeholder Management
- Site Management and Supervision
- Traffic Management
- Excavations and Preparation of Joint Bays
- 132kV Cable and Pilot Installations
- 132kV Jointing
- Cable Sheath Testing
- Decommissioning redundant Circuits